It’s hard to imagine south Italian cooking without eggplant — on pasta, grilled, stewed, roasted, stuffed and more. I included a stuffed version that is absolutely delicious with non other than our authentic Marinara sauce!
2 medium eggplant
8 oz ground beef
1 large thinly sliced onion
4 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 cup ricotta
4 Tbl grated pecorino romano cheese
One 25 oz jar 825 MAIN Marinara Sauce
1. Set the oven at 400°F/200°C.
2. Halve the eggplants lengthwise. Place them in the baking dish, cut sides up. Drizzle generously with olive oil and season to taste. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender.
3. Scoop out the eggplant flesh with a spoon and mash it gently with a fork leaving about 1/2 eggplant pulp along sides.
4. Saute ground beef, onion, diced eggplant pulp in EVOO until evenly cooked. Drain excess liquid.
5. Stir in ricotta, egg and cheese ¼ cup Marinara Sauce.6.Stuff both eggplant halves top with remainder of 825 MAIN Fresh Marinara Sauce and bake in oven for 20 minutes at a preheated 350 degree oven
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes